The Presidency is backing the governor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai, who came under heavy attack on Wednesday over his statement on an NTA programme.
It had reported earlier that the Kaduna governor said foreigners planning to intervene in the elections would leave in “body bags”.
The Video: By a PDP supporter
I can't help but be happy RN, reason being that atleast now the whole country n the world has come to understand what we as citizens of kaduna are going through… This is the peak of it though! Threats everywhere! Haba Jema'a! #ElrufaiBodyBags#LetsGetNigeriaWorkingAgain pic.twitter.com/lOLMBX7ZjC
— 1Ticketguy (@Rof_eey) February 6, 2019
In a statement issued by Garba Shehu, a Presidential spokesman, the Presidency said having made a clarification on the comments he earlier made on the role of other countries and bodies in elections, there was no need dragging the issue further.
“We have taken note of the clarification to a reported earlier statement by the Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai, concerning opposition call for foreign interference in our domestic affairs and to say that latest statements by him should rest the issue for good,” he said.
“There is nothing more to sneeze at. The governor spoke strongly in defence of national interest. It is clear that El-Rufai, our party the All Progressives Congress, and all its candidates have reposed their faith in democracy through general elections.”
“They are all of the views that there is no place for violence against local people or foreign citizens in our midst.”
On free and fair polls, Shehu said,
“The Federal Government under President Muhammadu Buhari will cooperate with election observers and will not let the international community down in the conduct of the coming elections.
“The Presidency assures Nigerians and the international community that the President will do everything within his power to ensure free, fair and credible elections in the country,” he added.